Wednesday, February 08, 2006




Mt Kinabalu has some downsides. The Park authorities make it easy for folk to make the top, but at a price. There's a big fat fixed rope all the way from the edge of the vegetation belt to the summit. You don't need it, and it's unsightly. Also, you have to get a peak permit and hire a guide, whether you want to or not. Our guide was called Asuan, and he was a decent bloke. He showed us where the pitcher plants were and stuff, but it emerged that one of his roles was as chaperone. On the summit plateau, I was keen to go up a few more of the summits, at least 4 of which I reckon could be bagged by easy scrambling. Not allowed - you need a separate permit for each peak. This is totally bogus. He couldn't have stopped me going off on my own, but he would have got into trouble if I did, and so would I, I suppose. You're supposed to stick to the rope and NO MESSING ABOUT!

No comments: