Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Ton Sai, 30 Nov. The smallness of the world, even the climbing world, is a given, but it's still incredible who you meet at the crag/cafe/bar/hangout... First off, a Polish/American couple who I met at the crag near Chiang Mai (OK, not so unlikely, as there are basically about 3 places to climb in Thailand), who have been excellent company over a few beers and green curries. They live in Boulder, CO, but don't know Andy Donson (which detracts from my thread a bit, but there you go. Andy?). Then, next morning over a coffee I meet Yorkshire Alex, who I'd only met once, a year ago, at Widdop (a crag near Hebden Bridge). I didn't place him immediately but that was all right as I bumped into him again in Wee's Bar last night (this shack in the woods has already lodged a firm spot in my World Top 10 of Hospitable Premises). Lastly, I was climbing yesterday with a Finnish woman of impressively muscular physique, appellation Erika. Let me think...climbers in Finland? Hang on...Dave Smith - we used to work in the same lab at Bristol Uni and would go down to Avon Gorge sometimes when the boss was away for the day. Now lives in Turku...I casually mention this, and it's 'Oh yes Dave, of course, I go cross-country skiing with him!' Turns out it's the same Dave Smith too. What are the chances of that?

And so...today went diving out near Ko Phi Phi; 2 dives, the first one awesome! Reef only 8/10, but massive shoals of fish, especially jack and tuna out from the reef, everywhere, and big shoals of sizeable colourful fish nearer to the reef. All the usual parrot- and lionfish, plus some very weird ghost fish and pipefish. Incredibly primitive-looking anemones, almost irridescent blues and greens, a huge blue starfish, and sea slugs like caterpillars on steroids. Someone claimed to have seen a (black-tipped reef) shark, but there's always one...

No comments: